Cooking Time 40-50 minutes
ALSO GREAT WITH
Lemon and Olive Oil Mash
1. Place all ingredients into a large pot and cover with water by about two centimeters.
2. Bring potatoes to the boil then simmer for around 25 minutes until the potatoes are ready to mash.
3. Drain potatoes, retaining a little of the cooking water, then add them back to the pot with the olive oil and mash.
4. Add a little cooking water at a time until you get your desired consistency.
5. Don’t overwork the potatoes.
6. Season to taste.
Roast Zaatar Salmon
1. Preheat your oven to 200°C
2. Lay your salmon on a lined baking tray, skin side down.
3. Rub liberally with olive oil and dust completely with Zaatar.
4. Lay 3-4 lemon rounds across the tops of the fish.
5. Place Salmon in the oven and cook for around 25 minutes or until the salmon is cooked to your liking. It should still be rosy pink in the center.
1. Heat a skillet, BBQ or large frypan over high heat.
2. Toss your green through oil and place on your hot surface and allow to cook on one side until beginning to charr.
3. Toss or turn and cook on the other side for 1 minute before removing to a plate and sprinkling with chopped almonds.
Optional Herby Oil
1. To make herb oil combine all ingredients in a mortar and pestle and gently crush and grind until the herbs and garlic have broken down into the oil. Check seasoning and set aside.
Choose a large dish with raised sides.
Layer mash, salmon, greens and almonds and finish with optional herby oil.
Serve with lemon wedges.
Zaatar (recipe credit www.feastingathome.com)
1 tablespoon dried thyme- crushed (or sub oregano)
1 tablespoon cumin (see instructions about whole or ground)
1 tablespoon coriander
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
1 tablespoon sumac
½ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon or more chili flakes- optional
Mix all the ingredients together in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.
For the most flavor, toast whole seeds (cumin seeds and coriander seeds) until fragrant, then grind. This will make the most flavorful zaatar. If you don’t have whole seeds, feel free to use ground spices.
TIP: Serve this vegan mash with grilled veggies and toasted seeds and nuts for a complete vegan meal. It would also be fabulous topped with pan fried mixed garlicky mushrooms and greens.