Cooking Time 45 minutes
ALSO GREAT WITH
Give your regular potato bake a twist by spiralizing your spuds and hitting the dish with a touch of smokey spice. The spiralized potatoes catch the cheese sauce beautifully and the potato curls sticking out above the sauce become lovely and caramelized. Enjoy this as a side dish or make it the main and serve it with a big tossed salad.
1. Heat oven to 180°C, fan forced
2. Brush 25cm x 30cm x 3cm baking dish or tray with melted butter. Approximately 25g.
3. Using a spiralizer, make ribbons of potatoes.
4. Arrange potato ribbons in your baking dish and set aside.
5. In a medium pot over medium heat, melt 75g butter and add the garlic.
6. Whisk in spices, salt and black pepper until smooth.
7. Add milk and cream. Whisk until smooth and thickened, about 4 minutes.
8. Remove pot from heat. Add 100g of cheese and stir until melted.
9. In a small microwave-safe bowl in the microwave oven, melt the remaining 25g butter. Stir in crumbs and remaining half teaspoon of smoked paprika.
10, Pour cheese sauce evenly over potatoes.
11. Sprinkle the Panko crumbs over top of potatoes and cheese sauce.
12. Finish with remaining cheese.
13. Bake in the oven until potatoes are tender, cheese is bubbly and crumb topping is browned, 30 to 45 minutes.
14. Finish your bake with toppings as suggested or serve as is.
TIP: If you don't have a spiralizer, just finely slice your spuds! Make this in a shallow baking dish so the potatoes aren’t piled too high.